Rev. Fr. Rogelio Felix-Rosas
Fr. Robin Cruz
James P. Miller
Religious Education Coordinator
Assistant Religious Education Director
Noe and Mariana Ceron-Lopez
Baptism Class Coordinators
A refuge to pray
All are welcome
The following is from "The Catholic Mass...Revealed!"
The Catholic Mass is the most sacred act of worship a person can participate in upon earth. At the Last Supper, Jesus Christ, sat down with his chosen Apostles for what He knew would be their last meal together. At that supper, Jesus does something new, something never done before, and yet something which continues until the end of time.
Knowing more about the Mass, (all of chapter 6 in John's gospel) we can be closer to Christ and to the miracle He left us on that Holy Thursday night. (1 Cor 11:23-26)
“The Catholic Mass…Revealed!” is designed to help all people, whether Catholic or not, to better understand the miracle of the Mass. We can come to appreciate its beauty, its rhythm, even why many in history have faced death rather than be deprived of the opportunity to participate in the Mass.
Our prayer is that you come to know and love the Mass as making present again the one sacrifice of Christ’s love for us, (1 Peter 3:18) and a continuation of His Last Supper with his apostles. You too can come to know and love Jesus Christ who both commands and invites us to encounter Him in this very special way.
About the Publisher:
Thy Kingdom Come, Inc.
Today’s Scripture & Meditation...Read
Why do Catholic Make the sign of the cross?...Read
"by making use of bodily signs of humility, our desire to submit ourselves to God is aroused."
"Striving for ‘perfection’ is the most disastrous of the mistakes good people fall into. It feeds the very vice it intends to destroy."....Read
Cache Valley artist brings her own suffering to crucifix creation...Read
O happy fault, O necessary sin of Adam,
.....which gained for us so great a Redeemer! The power of this holy night dispels all evil, washes guilt away, restores lost innocence, brings mourners joy. Night truly blessed when heaven is wedded to earth and man is reconciled with God.
~liturgy of Holy Saturday
|History of Saint Thomas Aquinas|
Catholics were present in Cache Valley as early as 1872, but the first mass was celebrated on September 19, 1918 by Fr. Thomas N. Stanton. The first St. Thomas Aquinas church was at 45 East 500 North in Logan. Dominicans Fathers Joseph Valine and Colin McEachen arrived in Logan and had the first Mass on December 8, 1941(the day after Pearl Harbor). This church was dedicated on May 17, 1942.
Fr. Jerome Stoffel arrived five years later, and would shepherd the parish for 30 years.
By the mid-1950s, the church was too small for the growing community, and so the diocese bought a former fraternity at 795 North 800 East, near Utah State University, and it became a Newman Center and St. Jerome’s Chapel.
The diocese sold the old church in 1962, and for the next 44 years, members of St. Thomas Aquinas parish and students from the Newman Center would celebrate mass at St. Jerome’s Chapel.
Fr. Bob Bussen became pastor in 1977, and was the first priest to suggest the parish council consider remodeling or building a new church. After a sabbatical in Bolivia in 1984, he began celebrating mass in English and Spanish.
Between 1986 and 1995, the parish was served by Fr. Colin Bircumshaw, Fr. David Van Massenhove, and Fr. Francis W. Voellmecke, and beginning in 1990, by Spanish-speaking priests as well: Fr. Francisco Gomez, Fr. Jesus Montoya, and Fr. Fernando Cristancho.
Fr. Clarence Sandoval and Fr. Francisco Pires arrived in 1995, and when Fr. Pires (who would later return as pastor) left in 1999, Fr. Sandoval began celebrating both Spanish and English masses.
With the arrival of Fr. Sandoval, interest in a new church building was revived. Parish members made pledges and fundraisers, and by the fall of 2000 the church was being designed.
The parish sold a parcel of land that had appreciated in value considerably in the years since Msgr. Stoffel purchased it, and an anonymous benefactor donated a parcel of land in Hyde Park for the construction.
The new church and parish center were dedicated on June 24, 2006, and the Newman Center was renamed the St. Jerome Catholic Newman Center.
Permanent Deacon Jim Miller arrived after the parish moved to Hyde Park, Fr. Francisco Pires returned as pastor in the summer of 2011, and Sr. Marilyn Mark, who had served the parish for much of the 1990s, returned in late 2012.